Table Of Contents
What Is Dual Diagnosis (Co-Morbid Condition)?
Dual diagnosis is when a person experiences a mental health condition and a substance abuse issue at the same time. Either condition can develop first and can be very broad. Substances can worsen existing symptoms of mental health disorders and can lead to mental health conditions by impacting one’s moods, thoughts, and behaviors.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dual Diagnosis?
Symptoms of dual diagnosis can vary greatly. They include, but are not limited to:
- Withdrawal from social interactions
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Engaging in risky behaviors when under the influence of a substance
- Loss of control of substance use
- Increased tolerance and withdrawal from substance(s)
Our Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs) are designed to build skills and improve lives of individuals who struggle with significant mood problems (anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, etc.) to decrease problematic mood-related symptoms.